Webinars From the Field: Connecting Home and School with Parent Nights
With Karen Hickman
Parent Nights are an excellent strategy to bring parents into your School Family and share information about Conscious Discipline. But planning and hosting Parent Nights can be challenging.
She explains how involving children helps increase involvement from the parents, shares visuals and video examples, offers practical strategies, and directly models how to conduct your first Parent Night.
In this webinar, Conscious Discipline Master Instructor Karen Hickman walks you through a comprehensive guide to Parent Nights. She explains how involving children helps increase involvement from the parents, shares visuals and video examples, offers practical strategies, and directly models how to conduct your first Parent Night. Plus, Karen provides ideas for additional Parent Nights based on the Shubert book series and a final School Family Celebration. If you’re interested in starting Parent Nights at your school, this webinar is a must!
Karen also mentions several Free Resources you can incorporate into Parent Nights, including Four Elements of Connection, Breathing S.T.A.R., How Do You Feel Chart, Safe Place Breathing Icons, and Shubert’s Extension Activities.
- 00:22 What are Conscious Discipline Parent Nights?
- 01:21 Activities to Unite – Wish Well, We Care Notes, You’ve Been Gone
- 05:31 Activities to Disengage Stress – S.T.A.R., Brain Smart Choice Cubes, briefly introduce Safe Place
- 08:37 Activities to Connect – Model I Love You Rituals, discuss four ingredients of connection
- 13:58 Teaching I Love You Rituals at the first Parent Night
- 15:20 Frequently Asked Questions about Parent Nights
- 21:00 Practicing I Love You Rituals
- 26:58 Introducing Kindness Tree/recognizing acts of kindness
- 32:25 Weaving in celebrations
- 33:20 Second Parent Night – Introducing Parent Jobs
- 34:50 The “why” behind Parent Nights, various strategies to coach parents
- 52:46 Second Parent Night – Shubert is a S.T.A.R.
- 53:55 How to select Student Ambassadors
- 57:18 Third Parent Night – Shubert’s Big Voice
- 57:47 Fourth Parent Night – Shubert’s Helpful Day
- 58:40 Fifth Parent Night – Shubert’s Choice
- 59:08 Sixth Parent Night – Shubert’s New Friend
- 59:54 Seventh Parent Night – Shubert Sees the Best
- 1:01:33 Eighth Parent Night – Shubert Rants and Raves
- 1:02:15 Final Parent Night/School Family Celebration – Conscious Discipline the Musical (with Video Example)
- Parent Education Pack
- Shubert Series and Puppet Value Pack
- I Love You Rituals
- Shubert’s Picture Rule Cards
- Music Value Pack