Webinar: Tools for your Parenting Tool Box
“Unless we make a conscious effort to do things differently, we will parent as we were parented and discipline as we were disciplined.”
-Dr. Becky Bailey
We all have default, go-to tools in our parenting toolbox. Your tools were passed down from your parents, who learned them from their parents, and so on for generations. Some of these tools are helpful while others may be hurtful. We would never intentionally hurt our children, but we must examine what’s in our toolbox and consciously choose to learn and use new tools.
We all have default, go-to tools in our parenting toolbox. Your tools were passed down from your parents, who learned them from their parents, and so on for generations.
In this webinar, Abbi Kruse, a parent, grandparent, and Conscious Discipline Certified Instructor, shares the top two tools she wishes had been in her parenting toolbox when her children were growing up: the Power of Perception and the Power of Attention. The Power of Perception enables you to see unwanted behavior as a missing skill (and then teach that skill). The Power of Attention empowers you to focus on what you do want rather than what you don’t want. Watch as Abbi explains why some of our default tools are ineffective, why these new tools really work, and how you can use them to give your own parenting toolbox an upgrade.
- 00:11 Introduction: Two tools Abbi wishes she’d had in her parenting toolbox
- 02:05 Defaulting to how we were parented and disciplined
- 03:30 Pitfalls of punishments and rewards
- 08:07 Tool #1 – Power of Perception
- 10:20 Shifting your perception
- 13:02 Seeing unwanted behaviors as missing a skill
- 19:03 Why punishments don’t teach
- 21:06 Why rewards don’t teach
- 24:33 Teaching missing skills
- 25:05 Tool #2 – Power of Attention
- 26:06 How the Power of Attention helps with assertiveness
- 30:43 Recap