Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey, Julie Ruffo and special guest Becky Jones
Conscious Discipline asks adults to make a mindset shift and a skill set upgrade before coaching children to do the same. For some adults, this type of transformational change feels difficult, scary, or overwhelming, and some teachers are hesitant to dive into Conscious Discipline implementation. Because Conscious Discipline requires internal transformation, it’s not a practice that can be mandated. So, how can administrators or school leaders approach hesitant teachers?
In this episode, you’ll join Dr. Becky Bailey in conversation with special guest Becky Jones, a behavior coach for Long Early Learning Center in Abilene, Texas. Rather than mandating what to do or butting heads with her hesitant teachers, Becky met her teachers where they were and sought out creative solutions that invited cooperation and connection. Ultimately, the center’s hesitant teachers became inspired and excited about Conscious Discipline implementation, even trickling the information down to families at home.
- Some hesitant teachers may need a model to help them become more comfortable implementing Conscious Discipline strategies. Becky filmed videos of I Love You Rituals and placed them in a shared folder.
- It’s sometimes helpful to reach hesitant teachers by first reaching their students. Becky shared videos of breathing strategies with teachers and students. Students got excited about the breathing strategies. When teachers saw the positive change in their students, they became inspired and excited in turn.
- Instead of simply reading Shubert books in classrooms, Becky left tools and visual aids behind. For instance, each class received Cranky Cream, an interactive Safe Place Choice Book, and a We Care Bag.
- Children brought Conscious Discipline knowledge home to their parents, who asked their teachers about it. Teachers were excited to share Conscious Discipline strategies with both students and families.
- Conscious Discipline Events
- Five Steps to Self-Regulation Icons
- Safe Place Breathing Icons
- Conscious Discipline Cream Labels
- Podcast Episode 030: Coaching Skeptical and Willing Teachers in Conscious Discipline
- I Love You Rituals Value Pack
- Shubert Books
- S.T.A.R. Breathing Tool
- I Choose Self-Control Board
- Conscious Discipline Book
- :00 Introduction
- 1:44 Dr. Becky Bailey in conversation with special guest Becky Jones
- 3:09 I Love You Rituals
- 5:36 Breathing techniques
- 7:27 Shubert books
- 11:06 Establishing procedures
- 13:37 Recap and conclusion
- 15:06 What is Conscious Discipline up to?
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.