Real Talk for Real Teachers with Latoria Marcellus, Amy Speidel and special guest Kristin Chesterman
Kristin Chesterman is a deep believer that all behavior is a form of communication. Addressing the lack of skills in a student (or scholar as she refers to them) is the key to regulation success. As a Title 1 Behavioral Support Teacher serving approximately 615 students in Indiana, Kristin shares personal examples of how the implementation of Conscious Discipline’s powers, skills, and strategies in connection with Brain State knowledge cultivate an inclusive School Family. In this episode, she explains how Conscious Discipline provided the framework for a Junior Coaching Program and prompted a transformative shift in their school culture among their teachers.
- For implementation success, teachers and administrators need to be open and curious about their perspectives concerning outcomes.
- A behavioral or SEL approach does not have to be prescriptive: Conscious Discipline is a framework.
- All behavior is a form of communication, and fortifying skills rather than denying access/inclusion is the path to self-regulation success.
- Vulnerability is key to connection.
- Regulation starts with the adults in the room.
- What you give to others, you strengthen within yourself.
- Creating the School Family
- Kristin Chesterman’s LinkedIn Profile
- Event: Connecting with Children Who Are Hard to Reach
- Four Elements of Connection
- RTI and Conscious Discipline
- Response to Intervention and Conscious Discipline
- Handling Upset: The Adult-First Mindset Shift
2:35 Punishment and Consequences
3:41 Introduction to Kristin Chesterman
9:01 Conscious Discipline was the bridge between neuro-anatomy studies and structures, powers, and skills
9:30 A pivot to adult-first regulation and Brain State identification
13:01 Brain state strategies
13:50 Summary of Tier 1
19:26 Brain Smart Start
21:29 What you give to others, you strengthen in yourself
23:06 Junior Coach Program Development
23:35 Sentence starters: You were hoping________. You wanted ________.
24:00 Junior Coach Success Stories: Keeping the School Family intact
30:20 Implementation at Home
33:55 Equal Opportunity Learning Environment
34:24 All Behavior is Communication
Thank you for listening
Thank you for choosing to spend your precious time with us today. If you enjoyed this episode, please share its valuable information with others via your favorite social media platforms.