Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey, Julie Ruffo and special guest Chazz “Mr. Chazz” Lewis
In this episode, Dr. Bailey is joined by Chazz “Mr. Chazz” Lewis, a former Montessori teacher turned educational specialist with a fast-growing presence on social media. Mr. Chazz applies his brand of charisma, humor and insight to important topics in both education and parenting. His philosophy closely align with Conscious Discipline, which led him to attend and present a keynote at a 2021 Conscious Discipline Institute. He also recently attended the 2021 Elevate SEL Conference in Orlando.
Dr. Bailey and Mr. Chazz discuss their similar viewpoints on parenting and education, including his vision to help adults “See, Guide, and Trust” children. He also shares the motivation behind his work, including a truly impactful educator in his life. Plus, he offers inspirational takeaways like, “Don’t be a perfectionist; be an ‘improvenist.’”
- Mr. Chazz’s career in education began as a Montessori teacher. As his skills grew, other teachers began asking him for suggestions, ideas, and advice. He realized that he could make an even greater impact by supporting teachers, so he became an educational specialist.
- During the pandemic, he saw the challenges families and parents were facing, so he turned to social media to offer his support. Today, he has more than 150,000 followers on multiple platforms.
- Mr. Chazz describes his vision for the world in three words: “See, Guide, and Trust.” He wants to empower adults to truly see children, more effectively guide them, and trust that children are doing the best they can with the skills they have in the moment.
- “Don’t be a perfectionist; be an ‘improvenist’,” is Mr. Chazz’s most important piece of advice. Perfectionism often becomes the anchor of our progress. Focus instead on improving each day, living authentically, and embracing mistakes as opportunities to learn. When we become improvenists, we teach children the same mindset through modeling and direct interactions.
- Conscious Discipline Events
- Mr. Chazz’s Leadership, Parenting and Teaching Podcast
- Mr. Chazz on TikTok
- Mr. Chazz on Instagram
- Mr. Chazz on Facebook
- Jaden the Germ-Blasting Superhero
- Powers of Resilience: SEL for Adults E-Course
- Seven Skills Poster Set
- I Love You Rituals Deluxe Pack
- :34 What is Conscious Discipline?
- 1:11 Introduction of special guest Mr. Chazz
- 2:07 Join Dr. Becky Bailey in conversation with Mr. Chazz
- 2:59 Mr. Chazz’s background in education
- 6:15 Alignment of Conscious Discipline and Mr. Chazz’s philosophy
- 7:13 See, Guide, and Trust
- 9:24 Next steps for Mr. Chazz
- 11:00 Inspiration behind Mr. Chazz’s work
- 13:08 Story of an impactful teacher
- 18:20 “Don’t be a perfectionist; be an ‘improvenist’”
- 22:36 How to follow Mr. Chazz’s podcast and social media
- 23:30 Recap
- 24:33 What’s Becky up to?
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.