Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey and special guest J.C. Commander
At its core, Conscious Discipline is a relationship program. Our brain is a social brain that develops through relationships. To change the brain for optimal learning, we must create optimal relationships. No matter how you choose to weave Conscious Discipline into your classroom, school or district, remember: As we improve relationships, we improve learning.
In this podcast, you’ll hear from J.C. Commander, a dean of students for South Euclid-Lyndhurst City School District in Ohio. As the dean of students in a small district, J.C. wears many hats. Whether he’s working with students who are truant and their families, coaching basketball, or teaching breathing strategies to young children, J.C. puts relationships at the forefront. Listen in to learn how Conscious Discipline has helped J.C. and his district prioritize relationships in order to optimize learning.
- Often, the reason children miss school is relationship-based. They may have social issues or lack relationships with their teachers. In other cases, it’s helpful to work with parents to establish a routine that helps children successfully get up and get to school in the morning.
- Athletics are a great way to build relationships with students through common interests.
- With older children, a Friends and Family Board can serve as motivation. Students revisit photos of their parents or other family members as a reminder of their “why.”
- In your first year implementing Conscious Discipline, it’s OK to choose a few key areas of focus and a few structures you’d like to implement. J.C. initially focused on routines and relationships, and he implemented the Wish Well, Greetings and Friends and Family Board. He also helped students learn Conscious Discipline deep breathing techniques, with great results.
- Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Classrooms
- Creating the School Family
- Wish Well Board
- Greeting Apron
- S.T.A.R. Breathing Tool
- :22 What is Conscious Discipline?
- :54 Introduction of guest J.C. Commander
- 1:54 Responding to truancy with relationship-building and Conscious Discipline
- 5:18 Building relationships through athletics
- 7:05 J.C.’s introduction to Conscious Discipline
- 8:25 Favorite success story
- 10:43 Success story with younger children
- 12:57 What’s Becky up to?
- 13:18 What’s Becky celebrating?
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.