Webinars From the Field: Conflict Resolution and Assertiveness with Older Children with Kristin Abel
Conflict is a daily fixture in every classroom. It can feel draining, pull attention away from important tasks, and lead to unproductive competitiveness. But if you address conflict proactively and positively, it can become a valuable learning experience for you and your students.
But if you address conflict proactively and positively, it can become a valuable learning experience for you and your students.
In this webinar from the field, Certified Instructor and fifth grade teacher Kristin Abel shares helpful strategies for addressing conflict with older children. Learn about the P.E.A.C.E. process for class meetings, the Conflict Resolution Time Machine, and the Safe Place. Kristin also discusses how you can build connection with your students, remain calm during moments of conflict, and teach children to use their assertive voices. Finally, you’ll hear tips for repairing relationships and welcoming children back into the School Family once conflict is resolved.
- 00:20 Introduction of Kristin Abel
- 00:47 Conflict happens every day
- 01:33 How to make conflict work in your classroom
- 03:03 Conflict choices
- 03:33 The role of our perspectives in conflict
- 04:55 When conflict is bad
- 06:21 When conflict is good
- 07:29 How do you address conflict?
- 15:15 Class Meetings
- 20:54 Conflict Resolution Time Machine
- 26:58 Connections: What are they? How do you build and maintain them?
- 30:47 Safe Place
- 33:05 Key information to remember about connections and conflict
- 37:50 Consequences and fighting
- 46:51 Welcoming children back into the School Family after a conflict or suspension
- Conflict Resolution Time Machine
- I Choose Self-Control Board
- Safe Place Poster Set
- Shubert Series and Puppet Value Pack
- CLASSROOM EDITION: Feeling Buddies Self-Regulation Toolkit
Helpful Next Steps
- Online Course with Dr. Becky Bailey – Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Schools and Homes
- Shubert’s School
- Podcast Episode 028: Implementing Conscious Discipline with Older Children with special guest Kristin Abel
- Webinar: Using Conflict to Teach with Jill Molli