Webinar: Reclaim Your Power with Assertiveness
We all want children to advocate for themselves, set healthy boundaries, and be assertive. To teach these important skills to children, we must first learn them ourselves. Using your assertive voice is a great place to start. The assertive voice is not rude or loud. It is the voice of knowing. The assertive voice tells children exactly what to do and paints a clear picture of what that looks like and how to be successful.
Using a passive voice (e.g., “Are you ready to go to lunch?”) offers a choice when there really is none. This confuses children and opens the door for a power struggle. When children then say “no” because they believe they have a choice, adults feel triggered and blame children for their upset. The empowering assertive voice, on the other hand, tells children exactly what to do. It creates space for healthy personal and professional relationships.
The empowering assertive voice, on the other hand, tells children exactly what to do. It creates space for healthy personal and professional relationships.
Join Master Instructor Kim Jackson as she shares the practical advice she has learned on her own journey to reclaiming her power with assertiveness. Kim is a teacher and coach with 21 years of experience in education. In this webinar, she differentiates between passive, aggressive, and assertive voices. Kim also explains how to find your assertive voice, so you can reclaim your power and give the gift of assertiveness to the children in your care.
- 00:36 Introduction-The importance of using an assertive voice
- 02:15 Different types of voices-Which do you hear yourself using the most?
- 06:15 Passive voice
- 07:11 Aggressive voice
- 09:21 Passive-aggressive voice
- 10:00 Assertive voice
- 10:46 Tone of the assertive voice
- 12:01 Name-Verb -Paint
- 13:51 Command vs. request
- 15:57 Setting boundaries and saying no
- 17:00 Kim’s story of struggling with assertiveness
- 20:51 Power of Attention- Focus on what you want children TO do
- 22:46 Recap
- The NEW Conscious Discipline Book- Expanded and Updated
- Seven Skills Poster Set
- Creating the School Family
Helpful Next Steps
- Online Course with Dr. Becky Bailey – Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Schools and Homes
- Free Resources
- Shubert’s School – practical examples of room-by-room Conscious Discipline implementation
- Real Talk for Real Teachers – A new podcast with Dr. Becky Bailey
- Learn more about our Professional Development Options