Special Episode: EdsUp! Podcast featuring Dr. Becky Bailey
Dr. Becky Bailey was recently featured on Episode 21 of the EdsUp! podcast. EdsUp! is produced by the Graduate Center for the Study of Early Learning at the University of Mississippi and hosted by Dr. Cathy Grace and Dr. Melody Musgrove. The podcast focuses on “children and those who care about them,” covering a wide range of education and public policy issues with practical tips for parents, educators and decision-makers.
In this episode, Dr. Bailey talks with EdsUp! about topics including trauma, why punishment doesn’t work, learning from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, I Love You Rituals, and much more. Listen in to hear this engaging and highly informative conversation.
- To meet the needs of children, we must first meet the needs of adults (because adults are the ones tasked with meeting children’s needs).
- Punishment does not work, yet it is traditionally the primary tool that many teachers and parents rely on. Punishment and education don’t mix. Skills related to communication, self-regulation and behavior must be taught just like academics.
- Parents teaching at home should be gentle with themselves. Don’t put pressure on yourself to be just like the teacher or to replace the role of the school. In fact, you have the opportunity to play, connect, and spend time outdoors—all important activities that aren’t given enough priority in most schools. Establish a basic routine, then let learning unfold naturally.
- Our inner state dictates the state of our youngest children, primarily ages 0-6. During this time of stress and anxiety, share your feelings with kids and talk it out. Model how to manage emotions, get through difficult times, and come out stronger on the other side.
- Behavior is communication, even at the age when we start saying “they should know better by now.” We are all doing the best we can with the skills we can access in the moment. Adopting this mindset changes your entire perception of child behavior and your ability to respond effectively.
- EdsUp! Podcast
- Conscious Discipline COVID-19 Resources
- Webinar: Four Tips for Successful Home Learning
- Webinar: Connecting with Your Kids with I Love You Rituals
- I Love You Rituals
- Rituales Amorosos
- Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Classrooms
- Conscious Discipline 10-Session E-Course
- :01 What is EdsUp?
- :17 Introduction of guest Dr. Becky Bailey and background
- 3:30 About Conscious Discipline and its origins
- 6:35 Shifting from punishment to positive tools that work
- 9:25 The importance of being trauma-informed
- 14:17 Challenges of making a mindset shift
- 15:03 Three tips for parents and children learning at home
- 20:01 Conscious Discipline’s resources for COVID-19 pandemic
- 22:30 About I Love You Rituals
- 25:50 Our state dictates their state
- 30:08 Behavior is communication
- 32:00 Examples of I Love You Rituals
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.