Team Registration is designed for groups of two or more people. If you would like to register as an individual, please complete an Individual Registration.
Connecting with hard to reach children and managing big behaviors have always been common classroom challenges. Yet the isolation, uncertainty, trauma and stress of the COVID-19 pandemic significantly multiplied these difficulties. As students return to school, re-establishing connection and safety will be essential to reducing challenging behaviors and fostering healing, learning and problem solving. In this two-day workshop, Connecting with Hard to Reach Children, you’ll gain fresh insight and new strategies on how to connect with hard to reach children, including those impacted by trauma and toxic stress.
Master Instructor Elizabeth Montero-Cefalo will specifically address stressors related to COVID-19 and their effect on children. You’ll learn to manage your own anxieties, then understand and respond to challenging behavior, building connection that leads to cooperation–and, ultimately, lasting behavioral changes.
This event takes place at a school that is successfully implementing Conscious Discipline, giving you the unique opportunity to see strategies and structures in action as you gain insight from a Master Instructor.
Workshop highlights include:
- Understand why some children resist connection.
- Examine family stressors related to COVID-19 and their impact on children.
- Learn how to reduce anxiety during challenging times for both yourself and children through active calming.
- Discover how to build relationships with hard-to-reach children and provide a felt sense of safety through consistent, responsive caregiving.
- Learn why consequences often fail with chronically aggressive children, and how and why connection leads to lasting behavioral changes.
- Explore the Conscious Discipline Brain State Model so you can better understand children’s behavior and which responses will be most helpful.
- Equip yourself with immediately usable strategies to help children develop impulse control and increase cooperation.
- Learn to adapt Conscious Discipline strategies like I Love You Rituals, Baby Doll Circle Time and noticing for all, especially children with trauma.