Special Episode on Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey
Asking for help is one of the most powerful tools we possess in life. It allows us to learn, think critically and problem solve, and it allows others to do the same while also being of service. “How do I…?” is a special quarterly episode that provides a forum for podcast listeners to reach out for help. In this podcast, Dr. Bailey responds with helpful Conscious Discipline-based approaches for:
How do I teach respect?
How do I communicate red flag behaviors to parents?
How do I get parents on board?
How do I stop my child from climbing in my bed in the middle of the night?
How do I help coworkers use Conscious Discipline with other adults at work?
- Assertiveness is the key skill in teaching respect.
- In teaching respect, it’s important to reflect and ask 1. How are we modeling respect and 2. How are we responding when we perceive we’ve been disrespected.
- When working with parents, it is essential to show up with the intention to be helpful and the resources to help.
- The only way to encourage someone to join you in Conscious Discipline is to inspire them by being a model.
- Changing an ill-suited routine or pattern you’ve unconsciously taught your child requires working through the resulting upset.
Steps for Tomorrow
- When you or a child feels anxious, name and acknowledge the feeling rather than questioning why it is there.
- Practice active calming so you can become a co-regulator for children who feel anxious.
- :48 How do I teach respect? How do I teach my children to respect each other, my things, and our home?
- 3:38 How do I communicate red flag behaviors to parents?
- 6:50 From a home visitor: How do I get parents on board with Conscious Discipline, when:
- I have trouble maintaining my composure when children are screaming in the house,
- I forget the verbiage in the moment because the children are fighting and mom is watching, and
- I only see children once.
- 9:31 How do I stop my child from coming to my bed in the middle of the night?
- 13:33 How do I help adults use Conscious Discipline in their adult-to-adult interactions in the workplace?
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.