Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey and special guest Mindy Becker
Research confirms the early years (ages 0-5) are a time for rapid brain growth and development. Research also indicates that stimulation and interaction with loving, caring adults – not toys, screens or academics – are critical to early brain development. So, how do we impact a system and a society that has grown away from what is developmentally appropriate for the sake of academics and convenience?
Listen as Mindy Becker, Owner of Grow with Us Academy, shares her story of meeting the community’s needs by bringing developmentally appropriate practices back into the preschool classroom through the connection, attachment and social play cultivated with Conscious Discipline.
- The brain is a social organ. A child’s connections and positive relationships with adults during the early years are a deciding factor for healthy brain development.
- Adults must learn to regulate ourselves and model this self-regulation with children.
Steps For Tomorrow
- Put the phone down and build connections with your children through face to face interactions and social play.
- Become aware of your own feelings and manage those feelings before you interact with children.
- Remember, “what you focus on, you get more of.” Focus on the behaviors you want to see from children.
- What is Conscious Discipline?
- Grow With Us Academy
- I Love You Rituals
- NAEYC Developmentally Appropriate Practice Position Statement
- I Love You Rituals
- Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline
- Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Classrooms
- :18 What is Conscious Discipline
- 1:12 Challenges of today’s preschools
- 3:36 How we traveled off course from developmentally appropriate practices
- 6:35 Introduction of guest Mindy Becker, Owner of Grow With Us Academy
- 7:54 Seeing a need for change
- 13:34 Beginning to work with parents through parent/child classes
- 16:58 The structure for “Mommy and Me” classes
- 18:01 What are I Love You Rituals
- 20:36 “Round and Round the Garden” I Love You Ritual
- 22:36 Importance of social games with young children and impact of rising technology
- 24:30 Conscious Discipline requirement for parents of children attending Grow With Us Academy
- 26:25 “Arrival to School” routine at Grow With Us Academy
- 30:17 I Love You Ritual drop off choices for parent and child
- 31:14 Safekeeper ritual and teacher greeting
- 33:54 Summary
- 35:52 Steps for tomorrow
- 39:33 Success story of a child with challenging behavior that transferred to Grow With Us
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.