Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey and special guest DJ Batiste
Socialization is a process by which a person learns to be a member of a group or community. Families and educators have the task of socializing children into the collective in a healthy way in order to sustain ourselves as a society.
“Us” and “them” socialization (racism, sexism, have vs have not, good kid vs bad kid classroom culture, etc.) impedes healthy socialization. It can prime the excluded, “lesser” children to seek inclusion in groups and relationships that are damaging or abusive, including street gangs.
In this episode, DJ Batiste shares his experiences from being a teenage gang leader through his current role as a motivational speaker and advocate for creating a healthy School Family “gang” for all children.
- Any form of “us” and “them” socialization impedes the development of a healthy culture
- Disconnected/marginalized children will find an alternative way to meet the need to belong
- All children need predictability, consistency and a sense of belonging
- Creating a sense of community in the classroom (a School Family) provides students with connection, predictability and a sense of belonging
- Gang Leader to Graduate Success Story
- How to Make a (Bully from Scratch)
- Bully Road Signs series of videos
- Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Classrooms
- Creating the School Family
- Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Schools and Homes E-Course
- :24 What is Conscious Discipline
- 1:42 Prevalence of gangs in our society
- 2:50 What is socialization
- 5:01 Introduction of guest speaker DJ Batiste, former gang leader
- 6:23 DJ’s story of his path towards being in a gang
- 9:55 DJ expelled from preschool
- 12:56 DJ created his own gang
- 15:15 A sense of belonging draws children toward gangs
- 17:40 How gangs provide consistency and predictability
- 19:18 Codes of conduct in DJ’s gang
- 20:42 Was there ever a sense of fear being in the gang
- 23:00 DJ’s life-changing moment
- 26:10 Mrs. Porter connects, gives DJ a class job and creates a School Family
- 29:46 DJ’s current employment
- 31:35 Summary of what the gang provided
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.