Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey and special guest Peg Tazwell
Is it possible for early childhood programs with many federal regulations and initiatives placed on them to create an environment that successfully support both children and their family’s social emotional development? How does a director rally underpaid and under-appreciated early childhood teachers to embrace a new way of being and teaching in their program?
Many demands are placed on early childhood programs when it comes to funding, regulations, new initiatives and compliance. Head Start and Early Head Start programs in the United States promote school readiness of children under 5 from low-income families through education, health, social and other services. In addition, these programs are required to provide services that support the family’s growth and healthy family development as well.
Listen in as Peg Tazwell shares at Knox County Head Start’s story of transformation and success with Conscious Discipline. Learn the importance of uniting the entire staff (teachers, admin, bus driver, cooks) to achieve maximum results in supporting young children’s growth and development.
- Conscious Discipline provides skills for adults and children to be conscious enough to know when we are off track and connected enough to be persistent in continuing to practice and getting back on track
- The transformational process of Conscious Discipline implementation begins with the adults and transfers to the children through modeling and teaching
Steps for Tomorrow
- Make a commitment to Conscious Discipline training and recognize it’s not a quick fix and it begins at the top with administrators
- Find champions within your organization and give them training and mentoring, empowering them to move the organization’s implantation process forward
- Use the word practice, rather than program, when talking about Conscious Discipline
- What is Conscious Discipline: Watch this Video for the Basics
- Knox County Head Start Awarded National Center of Excellence: Watch the Video
- Conscious Discipline Pay-it-forward Transformational Process is available for download as part of our Free Resources for Administrators – Learn more here.
- Conscious Discipline Summer Institute (CD1): Learn more about Upcoming Conscious Discipline Institutes
- Learn more about the Office of Head Start here.
- I Love You Rituals
- Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Classrooms
- Conscious Discipline Parent Education Curriculum
Show Outline (time stamps)
- :16 What is Conscious Discipline
- 1:40 Introduction of Peg Tazwell, Director of Knox County Head Start
- 2:50 What is Head Start
- 4:50 Conscious Discipline results at Knox County Head Start
- 6:43 Culture shift within the organization due to Conscious Discipline Implementation
- 8:52 How Knox County Head Start began the implementation process with CD
- 12:22 Coming back when you got off track
- 12:50 Parent Involvement strategies and results
- 15:02 Knox County awarded National Center of Excellence
- 18:09 Success stories of children who attended Knox County Head Start
- 21:21 Conscious Discipline as a practice, not a program
- 23:25 Steps for tomorrow to begin
- 25:50 Does Conscious Discipline contribute to the achievement of some of the new Head Start performance standards
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.