COVID-19 Stress: How Uncertainty Affects Our Brains
We are living during a time of great uncertainty with COVID-19. Prolonged uncertainty causes predictable changes in the brain for both adults and children. We can use a foundational understanding of these changes to create greater resilience, new ways of thinking, and increased wellbeing for ourselves and our children.
COVID-19 is creating global changes to the way we behave and perceive our world. Learn how to harness your brain’s innate functioning to use these changes for the betterment of all.
Any crisis or stressor will impact the functioning of the brain. The stress from COVID-19 is unique because the virus is an unseen threat, the information about it is constantly changing, the scale is worldwide and there is no concrete endpoint to its impact.
Enjoy a little humor with Dr. Becky Bailey, the originator of Conscious Discipline, and then learn about how your brain is responding to the unique stressors of COVID-19 by shifting from a predictability model to a fluid change model. Understand the possible benefits of the jittery or anxious feelings you may be experiencing. Discover how you can use this global experience to improve resilience, expand your mind into new ways to thinking and increase your long-term sense of wellbeing. Then learn specific strategies to help yourself and your children during this era of COVID-19 stress.
- 00:09 Introduction of Dr. Becky Bailey and Conscious Discipline
- 00:32 Resiliency and neuroplasticity
- 02:26 What we need most right now
- 03:13 Humor is a useful skill that changes our state
- 06:25 Living in a time of uncertainty
- 07:05 What happens in our brain when it is faced with uncertainty?
- 11:56 Trauma happens when we feel immobilized
- 15:20 Allow the “jitters”
- 16:42 Where is the upside?
- 21:57 Behavior is communication
- 22:58 Shift from fear to faith
- 24:50 What can we do to help our children?
- 25:44 Create a new schedule/new normal
- 26:27 Wish Well
- 27:15 Be honest with your children
- 27:37 Ways to be helpful
- 28:30 Focus on managing feelings instead of making predictions
- 29:48 Story of Becky’s granddaughter/Conclusion
- Understanding Trauma Webinar Series
- Wish Well Board
- Social Story: Coronavirus Is a Big Word
- How I Can Help Keep It Safe at Home