Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey, Julie Ruffo and special guest Luke Jankee
Conscious Discipline is not a boxed curriculum; it’s a foundation on which you build your interactions, relationships, school culture and approach to discipline. It equips you with an internal system of wise choices and creative problem solving. The Powers of Conscious Discipline make it possible to tap into this internal system and access your brilliance.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Luke Jankee, principal of Verrado Elementary School in Arizona, on how he creatively applied the principles of Conscious Discipline to manage bullying and drama. Luke built an innovative process for conflict resolution on the foundation of a unified School Family. He implemented a proactive, peer-mediated approach and saw tremendous results. Join Dr. Becky Bailey in conversation with Luke Jankee to learn more about his approach to conflict resolution, his insight on Conscious Discipline implementation and the School Family, and more.
- Verrado Elementary was a great school prior to implementation, but they wanted to continue growing and improving. Luke believed that Conscious Discipline improved upon what they were already doing and was best for kids, so they had an obligation to implement it for their students. He later discovered Conscious Discipline was extremely helpful for adults too.
- There was initial resistance from some staff members, but people got on board once they observed that Conscious Discipline worked.
- Having a School Family gives Verrado Elementary a connected culture with a positive, welcoming atmosphere. It has carried the school through tragedy and difficult situations, including the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Luke’s peer mediation process involves meeting with students who are in conflict once a week. Each week, he gives them an assignment: “Next week, I need you to tell me one positive, kind, or helpful thing that you see in the other person.” Throughout this process, some students previously in conflict have become friends.
- This approach to conflict resolution is a creative hybrid of the Conflict Resolution Time Machine, P.E.A.C.E Process, and Kindness Recorder. It has saved time and brought the students, families and community closer together.
- Event: Conscious Discipline for Administrators
- Conflict Resolution Time Machine
- Kindness Tree
- Creating the School Family
- Building Resiliency: Returning to School in Uncertain Times (Ages PreK-5th+)
- :38 What is Conscious Discipline?
- 1:05 Introduction of topic and guest
- 1:55 Join Dr. Bailey in conversation with guest Luke Jankee
- 2:42 Luke’s introduction to Conscious Discipline
- 3:56 Why men are sometimes hesitant about Conscious Discipline
- 6:12 Introducing Conscious Discipline to staff
- 7:04 Results of Conscious Discipline implementation and the School Family
- 8:01 Innovative conflict resolution process to address drama and bullying
- 13:28 Impact on parents and community
- 16:33 Recap
- 18:53 What’s Becky up to?
- 19:32 What’s Becky celebrating?
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.