Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey and special guests Toni Stevenson and Lynlie Schoene
In this episode, you’ll hear from district leaders Toni Stevenson and Lynlie Schoene. Toni and Lynlie are the Chief Academic Officer and Chief Innovation Officer of Franklin Township Community School Corporation in Indianapolis, Indiana. They work with counselors, administrators, teachers, and instructional coaches.
Listen in as Toni and Lynlie share their tips for leading at the district level with shared power, celebrating successes, and slowly and intentionally implementing Conscious Discipline.
- Focus on bringing Conscious Discipline to your role first, modeling the powers and skills for others.
- Utilizing instructional rounds helps increase collaboration and reduce competition in schools. Once Conscious Discipline is underway, this creates an easy transition to building model classrooms for others to observe.
- Explaining the “why” to your staff/teachers is extremely important. Teachers need to understand the importance of Conscious Discipline and each of its components.
- Shared power is essential to successful implementation. Remember that it must be “our” initiative rather than “my” initiative. Celebrate often, encourage cooperation, and foster a collaborative spirit.
- Get counselors involved when possible. Since Conscious Discipline is trauma-informed and supports health and well-being, counselors are often the first to understand and grab hold of the concepts.
Steps for Tomorrow
- Model Conscious Discipline powers, skills and structures rather than trying to force others to implement. Transformational change requires buy-in and can’t be coerced or forced.
- Foster a collaborative spirit, working and celebrating together. Toni and Lynlie hold monthly cookouts for teachers at each building.
- Take your time with implementation. Be strategic and intentional without overwhelming your staff.
- The NEW Conscious Discipline Book – Expanded & Updated
- Creating the School Family
- Conscious Discipline E-Course: Building Resilient Schools and Homes
- :22 What is Conscious Discipline?
- :45 Introduction of guests Toni Stevenson and Lynlie Schoene
- 2:56 The start of Toni and Lynlie’s journey with Conscious Discipline
- 4:20 Modeling Conscious Discipline in your role
- 6:15 Implementation in Toni and Lynlie’s district
- 10:00 Success stories and celebrations;
- 13:24 Tips for district leaders interested in implementing Conscious Discipline
- 19:05 What’s Becky up to?
- 19:27 What’s Becky celebrating?
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.