Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey and special guest Kim Hughes
Conscious Discipline is not just for schools, teachers, and parents. It’s for any adult who wants stronger, healthier relationships. The core values of Conscious Discipline—like connection, communication, and empathy—are key to any relationship, including marriage.
In this episode, Conscious Discipline Master Instructor Kim Hughes opens her heart and home to share how Conscious Discipline has improved the health of her marriage. After her children left home, Kim realized that her marriage with her husband Scott had become about the kids. Wanting to recapture their connection and fall in love again, Kim decided to apply the principles of Conscious Discipline to her marriage. Listen in as Kim describes the changes she made and the transformational results.
- In any relationship, it’s tempting to focus on how the other person needs to change. However, the only person we can change is ourselves. Remember that the motivation to change comes from the quality of the relationship. Start by doing what you can to improve the relationship.
- The four essential ingredients to enhance any relationship or connection are eye contact, touch, presence, and playfulness.
- What we focus on, we get more of. Focus on and celebrate helpfulness, kindness, and teamwork. The more you embrace the positive, the more opportunities you’ll have to celebrate.
- When we recognize our emotions and practice active calming, we can respond instead of reacting in challenging moments.
Steps For Tomorrow
- Commit to being more present and connected in your relationship. Infuse eye contact, touch, presence, and playfulness throughout your marriage.
- Rather than focusing on what isn’t being done, notice and describe helpful acts.
- Improve communication by noticing brain states. If your spouse is in the emotional state, offer empathy and understanding. If they are in the executive state, you can offer suggestions and focus on problem-solving.
- Seven Powers
- Seven Skills
- Kim Hughes, Conscious Discipline Master Instructor
- The NEW Conscious Discipline Book- Expanded and Updated
- Brain State Poster Set
- 10-Session Conscious Discipline E-Course
- :20 What is Conscious Discipline?
- :37 How Conscious Discipline applies to all relationships
- 1:52 Introduction of guest Kim Hughes
- 2:20 Attention vs. connection
- 6:34 Background about Kim’s marriage and decision to change
- 8:35 Kim’s commitment to being present and connected
- 11:50 Four essential ingredients to enhance a relationship
- 13:37 Celebrating helpfulness
- 15:29 Story illustrating the transformation in Kim’s marriage
- 20:25 Power of unity
- 21:22 Husband’s comments on the change in Kim and the change in himself
- 25:55 Kim’s excitement for the future
- 26:23 Impact of the healthier marriage on their adult children
- 28:30 Summary
- 30:39 Be kind to yourself
- 31:13 What’s Becky up to?
- 32:38 What’s Becky celebrating?
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.