Real Talk for Real Teachers with Dr. Becky Bailey
School violence has left educators with unique challenges in providing for students’ physical and emotional safety. During lockdown drills and events, it isn’t enough to simply follow safety protocol; we must also address the social and emotional fallout from these stressful experiences. It is essential that we intentionally create lockdown procedures that revolve around safety, self-regulation and effective communication, as well as classroom procedures for restarting learning once a lockdown has ended. Listen as Dr. Becky Bailey takes on this formidable subject in the fourth and final episode in our School Lockdown series.
- Teaching procedures and self-regulation strategies is essential for successful lockdowns.
Steps For Tomorrow
- Teach everyone to be a S.T.A.R. and wish well as a response to distress.
- Use visuals to provide clear step-by-step instructions for what will happen during lockdown drills and events.
- Adults must self-regulate, help students regulate and provide constant, clear communication to students about what is happening during drills.
- After the lockdown or drill ends: Breathe deeply, provide the opportunity for children and teachers to reflect on the experience, end the debriefing by sharing gratitude, provide an opportunity for movement, encourage students to connect and restart classes with light review work.
- Navigating Lockdowns from an Educator’s Perspective
- Navigating Lockdowns from a Student and Parent Perspective
- Navigating Lockdowns from an Administrator’s Perspective
- The NEW Conscious Discipline Book – Expanded & Updated
- Feeling Buddies Self-Regulation Toolkit
- Managing Emotional Mayhem ©
- :20 What is Conscious Discipline?
- 2:15 Three phases to address regarding school lockdowns
- 4:08 Understanding our internal wiring and self-regulation
- 7:22 The effects of relying on fear
- 11:15 Essential questions to ask ourselves
- 12:24 Consider the effects of lockdown practices
- 13:39 What to do before lockdown drills
- 16:26 What to do during the lockdown
- 19:28 What to do after the lockdown
- 22:08 Summary
- 23:15 What’s Becky up to?
Thank You for Listening
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.