Invite children to "Breathe with me..." and practice the S.T.A.R. active calming technique with this easy to make tool.
You will need
- Two manila file folders
- Tape or Glue
- Make a 1.5 inch cut on the fold about 1/3 of the way from the bottom.
- Fold each side of cut to form two triangle-shaped flaps. Rub thumbnail back and forth to strongly crease flaps (the template can be found below).
- Open folder about halfway. Hold in one hand and, with fingers of the other hand, poke flaps through. Fold with flaps inside.
- Open folder so that pop-up "mouth" is upwards. With a black marker, draw or trace a star shape so that the upper point is near the top of fold. Draw eyes and a smiling mouth right on opening.
- Place a second folder behind first to form back. Glue or tape together.
Cut small rectangles and fold to make mini-breathing stars. Tape each end of a small strip on the back of each side to make finger-holds.
Each child can have his own star to hold. Older children can make their own. Draw or trace a heart shape over opening and make a "talking heart."